Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Black Keys- 10AM Automatic

I'm not big on the blues front, at best I can listen to Robert Johnson and I can not stand Stevie Ray Vaugh. Then you have Akron Ohio's own The Black Keys. A friend and former coworker who shall be called DJL is very musically open and has a knack of finding good music that no one has ever heard. CD101, Columbus' alternative station, was having a special $5 dollar show and The Black Keys where headlining. For $5 I'll go see about anyone and I'm glad I did. My new favorite band Ash performed as well as The Bravery and a few other good acts. So already the show is worth $5.

The Black Keys came on and it's only two guys. I know The White Strips are the starting point for most people when it comes to this kind of line up, The Black Keys are different. First of all the drummer, Patrick Carney, can actually play. As they progress through the set Dan Auerbach goes insane. I am not comparing him to Jimi Hendrick but for me it was probably the closest I will ever get to hearing and seeing Hendrix. He just made the guitar make sounds I have never heard and it was jaw dropping awesome. Once the song ended DJL leaned over and said "That alone was worth the $5." All I could do was nod.

No comments:

Post a Comment