Monday, May 31, 2010

Toad The Wet Sprocket- Fall Down


Toad the Wet Sprocket is the band nobody remembers but everyone knows. You say the name and people usually chuckle and say they have never heard of them. Mention All I Want or Walk on the Ocean and they usually respond "I love that song." I've had a 5 year span where Toad was weaved within my life.

I First heard Fall Down in high school and loved the song, but never bought the album or anything like that. I'd hope MTV or the local radio would play something by Toad but it very rarely happened. I get to college and I some how get involved in a secret society. It's nothing like the Skull and Cross Bones at Yale, but the organization is over 60 years old and has less than 200 members. We were the secret spirit crew of Bowling Green called SICSIC I know members hate this comparison but we were like mascots on crack. We wore coveralls and mask our mission was to spread spirit through out Bowling Green. BGSU was a pretty apathetic university when the group started and still is today. It's tough when you are in the middle of corn fields and are so close to Ohio State and Michigan. It was tough but we did and they still do their best and I think BG would be a worse place without SICSIC.

Why did I give you all that background? My first year the male senior Brian was the big DJ at the campus radio station and he loved Toad. This helped bring them back into my life. They just released a collection of songs from other albums or were released on soundtracks. They had a song called All in All and it became the anthem for SICSIC. Why, I am not for sure but we'd play this song all the time.

Toad will always be the band I could never figure out why they never "hit it big." They had a sound everyone could like, but they just didn't want the exposure.

No comments:

Post a Comment