Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pearl Jam- Jeremy

1992 I was a Sophomore in a very small southern Ohio town and I happened to be named Jeremy. Of course a song with the same name was awesome, well it could have been better. It's about a kid killing himself in front of his classmates. It could have had a happier ending like Jeremy became the awesomest person in the world, but I'll take what I can get. Grunge was in full swing and looked like everything out of Seattle was going to turn to gold.

At first I was not a fan of Pearl Jam, I heard Alive and didn't like it but the next single Even Flow was more pleasing to my ears and that Christmas I got Ten as one of my first CDs (along with Dr Feelgood by Motley Crew and Amy Grant's Heart In Motion... yes that's me in a nutshell). When Jeremy was release I thought it was great as I stated above a side effect of the song started. Everyone had to sing "Jeremy spoke in..." in a bad Eddie Veder impersonation. Still to this day I have not gone a year without someone singing that song to me.

As much as I like the song I get tired of hearing it sung to me. I even took it off my iPod because I know I will hear it from someone sooner or later and I'll want to punch them. So if you know a Jeremy I urge you NOT to sing this some to them, maybe I need to start a support group over this.

1 comment:

  1. Odly enough, I have no memory of that song in 92 but I do know it well now because of Lithium on Sirius.But then again my music back then was nothing like yours.

    ReplyDelete