Thursday, May 13, 2010

Snap- The Power



Let me take you back to a simple time, that time was 1990. Grunge was not in the main stream and we are still a few years away from gansta rap. We were hearing the death throws of hair metal as bands like Warrant and Slaughter start popping up. Yet there was also this strange dance music brought around by bands like C & C Music company. Then there was The Power by Snap.

I don't know what it is about this song but it always puts me in a better mood. Is it the strong electronic Bow dow dow dow dow Bada bow dow dow dow, the random Martha Wash "I got the power," or is it the guys flailing their arms while wearing red shoes. Even in small town southeastern Ohio where progressive music never seen, this song was everywhere. I remember band trips rapping "It's getting, it's getting, it's getting kind of hectic."

It was a song that probably should have faded over time, yet I remember hearing it in college and everyone liking it. The alternative music crowd, the average Ambercrombie and Fitch frat boys to the spirit group I was in. It even followed me through out my career.

Iron Mike is a producer I worked with and I could always make his day a little better by singing that Martha Wash line and proceed to do the flailing arm dance. He would follow up with the electronic music and laugh. Even during a time of unemployment I can listen to this song and remember that "I'm the lyrical Jessie James."

No comments:

Post a Comment